Tuesday 4 September 2012

Two are better than one - Ecclesiastes 4:9

About three years ago I was sitting on the verandah enjoying a coffee whilst watching the weather change from bad to worse.  As the wind grew stronger I believe that I heard God whisper in my heart to me:  “trouble is coming”.  My initial reaction was to feel fear and dread, and I responded by thinking “Nonsense!  Anyway, we have been through enough trouble in our lives, physical, financial and emotional, and we can’t handle anymore.”   But as I attempted to block out fearful thoughts my attention was caught by the two swallows who had returned to their nest.  They flew onto a candlestick which was hung upon the wall of the house, each bird perching upon a solid candle.  The more I observed them the more my mind was filled with what I believe God knew I had to meditate upon for preparation for the troubled times ahead. 

The swallows were perched out of the wind, sheltered on the verandah.  In the garden itself the branches were broken from trees and the pool was littered with leaves.  Yet the swallows did not move.  They remained still with unruffled feathers.  As I watched them I recalled Psalm 91:1-2.  “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.”   As followers of Christ Jesus His Spirit lives in us.  We need to remember that His presence is always with us, whether we feel Him or not.   It is in God’s presence that we find refuge, peace and rest.  When our emotions and greatest fears threaten to overpower us we need to sit down and turn to God.  Just like the swallows found shelter and rest from the storm upon the candle tops, we need to regularly “sit” with our God.  It is by staying in God’s presence that we can experience peace and rest, no matter what the circumstances are. 

The swallows were a pair.  I had watched this pair rebuild their broken nest, defend each other in flight, and feed together.  They were now resting together.  In Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 it reads:
 “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work.  If one falls down his friend can help him up, but pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up. 
Also if two lie down together they will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
We need each other!  In times of trouble we need to find someone to stand with us, to walk with us, to fight with us and for us, to pray with us.  This is when pride needs to be put aside.  Too often we place high expectations upon ourselves and others as to how we or they should be portraying the “strong Christ-like man or woman.”  We also want others to believe that we have it “all together.”  Yet we forget that Jesus asked for support in His darkest moments.  In Matthew 26:36-45 He asked His disciples three times to keep watch with Him in the garden of Gethsemane.  If Jesus needed support, who are we to think that we can stand alone? 

The swallows were perched on top of the candle’s wick which when lit produces a flame of light.  Two scriptures came to mind.  Firstly, Psalm 119:105 reads;  “Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path.”  We should look primarily to the Word of God for guidance in all situations.  Secondly, with fire we will experience pain yet out of fire comes change.  When there has been a veld fire we can see the destroyed ground and smell the destruction.  Yet out of that heat comes new growth.  Some seeds will never germinate without intense heat.  Romans 8:28 reads: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”  All means all – the good, the bad and the ugly!  The NIV Study Bible interprets the words “for the good” as “that which conforms us to the likeness of His Son (vs 29)” (2000:1720). 

I have come to realize that life on this planet is not about us, nor our comfort.  We are here to love God with all of our heart and mind and strength and to love our neighbour as we love ourselves (Mark 12:30-31).  We can choose to allow times of trouble to lead us into a reclusive and resentful way of life, or we can choose to dwell with God, experience His peace and rest, and in turn be empowered to help those who are also experiencing difficult times. 

No comments: